Asian Rhinoplasty / Nose Implant
What is Asian Rhinoplasty?
Asian rhinoplasty (augmentation rhinoplasty, nose surgery or nose job) is a surgical procedure to enhance and reshape an appearance of the nose. It is predominantly an augmentation procedure that uses different implants or autologous tissues to improve aesthetic look of the nose.
How Is Asian Rhinoplasty Performed?
There are mainly three different ways to do Asian nose surgery. There are pros and cons of each method.
- Simple Implant augmentation rhinoplasty: traditionally, Asian nose surgery is predominantly an augmentation procedure that uses silicone implants.
- Augmentation nose job with auto-graft: less frequently, autologous cartilages such as the rib are also used for augmentation nose surgery.
- Augmentation nose surgery with combination of implant and auto-graft: another alternative way is to combine alloplastic implants with autologous cartilage. That is the use of silicone or Gore-Tex implant for the nasal dorsal augmentation with modification of the nose tip using ear or septal cartilage.
What are Strengths and Complications of Silicone Implant?
The strengths of silicone implant are:
- The safety of silicone implant has been proven: as safe as breast augmentation or hip replacement surgery.
- Cosmetic outcome is excellent with the proper choice of candidates
- Minimal amount of dissection and surgery time, so less injury to the nose and less down time.
- Scar can be hidden well through closed incisional approach.
- Inexpensive: can be done under local anaesthesia.
- No extra donate site scars.
- Extremely easy to remove in case of implant problems.
Possible complications of silicone implant are:
- Extrusion: less than 2% under experienced surgeon’s hands
- Infection: less than 3%
- Implant malposition: less common in the experienced surgeon’s hands
- Its ability to change the shape of the nasal tip is limited
- In colder temperatures or in case in which the implant place excessive pressure on the skin, certain types of skin may turn reddish.
How Does Dr Michael Xu Perform the Surgery?
Dr Xu may perform nose surgery with different techniques for you, based on your requirement and the anatomy and aesthetics of your face and nose: either simple implant augmentation nose surgery, or augmentation rhinoplasty with combination of nose implant for the bridge and tip modification with auto-graft, such as ear cartilage.
How Long Does Nose Surgery Take?
For simple implant nose surgery, it can be performed under local anaesthesia and takes about one to one and half hours to complete. For augmentation rhinoplasty with combination of nose implant for the dorsum and tip-plasty with ear/septal cartilage, it may be done under sedation or general anaesthesia and takes 2-4 hour to finish.
How Long Is the Recovery Process?
Most patients develop swelling and bruising after the surgery for the first 2-3 days. Swelling and bruising will be mild and recover quicker for the simple implant nose surgery. They are more severe and prolonged for the more complicated nose surgery and open incisional approach.
Are There Any Other Methods to Improve Nose Contouring?
Yes, both fat transfer and filler injection may be used for nose enhancement and contouring.