Asian Rhinoplasty / Nose Implant
What is Asian Rhinoplasty?
Asian rhinoplasty (augmentation rhinoplasty, nose surgery or nose job) is a surgical procedure to enhance and reshape an appearance of the nose. It is predominantly an augmentation procedure that uses different implants or autologous tissues to improve aesthetic look of the nose.
How Is Asian Rhinoplasty Performed?
There are mainly three different ways to do Asian nose surgery. There are pros and cons of each method.
- Nose Implant augmentation rhinoplasty: traditionally, Asian nose surgery is predominantly an augmentation procedure that uses silicone implants.
- Augmentation rhinoplasty (Nose job) with auto-graft: less frequently, autologous cartilages such as the ear or rib cartilages are also used for augmentation nose surgery.
What are Strengths and Complications of Silicone Implant?
The strengths of silicone implant are:
- The safety of silicone implant has been proven over past decades.
- Cosmetic outcome is excellent with the proper choice of candidates
- Minimal amount of dissection and surgery time, so less injury to the nose and less down time.
- Scar can be hidden well through closed incisional approach.
- Inexpensive: can be done under local anaesthesia.
- No extra donate site scars.
- Not difficult to remove in case of implant problems.
How Does Dr Michael Xu Perform the Surgery?
Dr Xu may perform nose surgery with different techniques for you, based on your requirement and the anatomy and aesthetics of your face and nose: either nose implantsurgery, or augmentation rhinoplasty with combination of nose implant for the bridge and tip modification with auto-graft, such as ear cartilage.
How Long Does Nose Surgery Take?
For nose implant surgery, it can be performed under local anaesthesia and takes about one to one and half hours to complete. For augmentation rhinoplasty with combination of nose implant for the dorsum and tip-plasty with ear/septal cartilage, it may be done under sedation or general anaesthesia and takes 2-4 hour to finish.
How Long Is the Recovery Process?
Most patients develop swelling and bruising after the surgery for the first 2-3 days. Swelling and bruising will be mild and recover quicker for the simple implant nose surgery. They are more severe and prolonged for the more complicated nose surgery and open incisional approach.